Monday, September 6, 2010

A nice and satisfying tired

Marvin and I have arrived home after two days of good hiking. Sunday, we drove down from the northern peninsula in the wind, after going up as far as Eddie's Cove. We didn't go all the way to St. Anthony, but we got near enough, and then we headed south along the barren coast and back into the mountains. We set up camp at a campground in Gros Morne, went for a very fast run-hike up a hill then to a waterfall, then headed into town (Rocky Harbour) to procure rations. I wanted to head back before dark, so I ran around town looking for things. Food was a problem, as restaurants were very full or closing, and the grocery store offered canned ravioli and rotten fruit. I was so sick of meat. I went into a restaurant.
"I'd like something with vegetables, to go." I said.
"With vegetables?" She looked over the menu as though she'd never seen it before. "Hmmmm." Bacon-wrapped scallops, cod au gratin, various beef things. I spied a vegetable stir fry, but before I could say anything, she said, "we don't have the stir fry."
"How about pizza?"
So I got a pizza, then went to the grocery store and got canned spinach, which I poured over the pizza, then smothered it all in hot sauce. Gourmet. [Pronounce the "t".]

I also went to a Newfie craft and knick-knack store, where I got a book on Doctor Sir Grenfell. Newfoundland has tons of these shops, all full of jokey moose things and knitted caps and bags with the Newfoundland flag. And books. Lots of local books. I don't know if they're any good, but I'll work my wary through them. I got one by Earl B. Pilgrim, who's written a ton of fiction. It's historical fiction, called The Price Paid for Charley. Typical Newfie themes: isolation, hardships, the cold. The weather is like a respected uncle here, spoken of, sometimes cursed.

Today's hike was substantial: miles down through a narrow valley, then across a narrow river ("brook") and up a meadow to the Green Gardens. We met up with people there, mostly from Nfld but also from Europe. A couple of Swiss and a couple of Germans. There were sheep everywhere in the meadow. I walked Marvin on a leash past the sheep. He has a bit of sheepkiller in him. We walked along the coast, which reminded me of Big Sur, with dramatic cliffs and rocky beaches. Then up, up, up to the top and finally we got to the car and headed back to home base. I was planning dinner in my head.

Unfortunately, these Canadians take labo[u]r day seriously. No grocery stores were open, not even Walmart. A red Walmart! So I went to a Chinese place and got takeout.

Too much detail, but that's the story. Now I'm tired, bone tired. Too much walking. My feet hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment